1. Thou Shalt Not Simply Trot Out thy Usual Shtick.
If you are considering submitting yourself to TEDx UNBC please make sure you are well informed on any new theories, debates or conversations surrounding your idea worth spreading. Pleasing also consider how it connects to our theme of Destination: Future.
2. Thou Shalt Dream a Great Dream, or Show Forth a Wondrous New Thing, Or Share Something Thou Hast Never Shared BeforE
Don't be afraid to add to a topic you may already be comfortable with! Be willing to share what you know, but also what you imagine your idea worth spreading to mean someday, to you and to others.
3. Thou Shalt Reveal thy Curiosity and Thy Passion
It is your talk! It is your chance to show what your made of to an audience wanting to learn! When you show passion in what you're sharing, you create engagement.
4. Thou Shalt Tell a Story
People empathize with personal experiences. What have you or someone you know experienced that creates a wonderful story?
5. Thou Shalt Freely Comment on the Utterances of Other Speakers for the Sake of Blessed Connection and Exquisite Controversy
In order to add to your own idea, don't be afraid to reach out to others for inspiration. You yourself should engage in conversation surrounding your subject, even if other's opinions differ from your own.
6. Thou Shalt Not Flaunt thine Ego. Be Thou Vulnerable. Speak of thy Failure as well as thy Success.
Do not speak just to hear your own voice. While confidence is important, people want to make a connection and see themselves in you. What mistakes have you made, or what struggles have you endured that have led you to your idea worth spreading?
7. Thou Shalt Not Sell from the Stage: Neither thy Company, thy Goods, thy Writings, nor thy Desperate need for Funding; Lest Thou be Cast Aside into Outer Darkness.
No one wants to hear a sales pitch when they are there to learn. TEDx UNBC is about connecting with others, not with customers.
8. Thou Shalt Remember all the while: Laughter is Good.
Jokes are an excellent way to connect with your audience and break the ice. If your talk is serious, it's a good way to keep others engaged.
9.Thou Shalt Not Read thy Speech
Be prepared to memorize your speech, because you are not allowed to bring it on stage with you.
10. Thou Shalt Not Steal the Time of Them that Follow Thee
Make your talk worthwhile to those sitting in the audience. The goal of TEDxUNBC is to create discussion. Consider how your idea will create an impact.